Newmarket OCD Support Group
Marianne Small has suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) most of her adult life. She is acutely aware of the need for public awareness about OCD and is devoting her time and energy to increasing awareness about this crippling disorder which affects between 2 and 4 per cent of the population.
Marianne is also the founder of the Newmarket (Ontario) Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Support Group.
To increase awareness about OCD, Marianne has participated in the following:
- July 1992: Educational Video with Dr. Richard Swinson, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry for The Medicine Group.
- December 1993: Lecture at The Wellesley Hospital to third year Medical Students about OCD symptoms and the feelings of the sufferer.
- November 1994: Television Talk Show Participant on The Shirley Show discussing the effects of O.C.D. on day to day lifestyle.
- April 1995: Educational Video for Solvay Kingswood Inc. , Breaking the Vicious Cycle - Produced by Cameron McCleery.
- May 1995: Subject for Oral Examination for The Royal Academy of Physicians & Surgeons - for Psychiatric students final examination.
- June 1995: Subject of Newspaper article in the Toronto Star's Lifestyle Section - to increase public awareness and understanding of O.C.D.
- August 1995: Educational Video for Eli Lily Canada Inc. - Produced by The Medicine Group.
- August 1995 Speaker to Psychiatric students at Clarke Institute of Psychiatry about personal experiences with Behavioral Therapy.
- September 1995: Speaker at York County Hospital for O.C.D. parents support group
- April 1996: Featured Speaker at Clarke Institute of Psychiatry TIPS (Taking Initiatives in Psychiatric Settings) program. Spoke about life with and search for effective treatment of O.C.D.
- May 1996: Subject for Oral Examination - for The Royal Academy of Physicians & Surgeons - for Psychiatric students final examination.
- November, 1997: Television Talk Show Participant on Doctor on Call on Women's Television Network discussing the effects of O.C.D. on day to day lifestyle.
- February, 2002: CTV interview - Germs and Phobias.